List:       openvswitch-discuss
Subject:    [ovs-discuss] Open vSwitch balance-slb bond mode with two upstream switches
From:       jason.burns () nutanix ! com (Jason Burns)
Date:       2015-08-21 19:14:33

I hope this is the right forum to ask this question. If not - feel free to direct me \
elsewhere.

Can the balance-slb bond mode in Open vSwitch be used for a bond connected to two \
separate upstream switches?

When I read the documentation [1] it states that only active-backup can be used to \
connect to two separate upstream switches, but no explanation is provided.

active-backup
                    Assigns  all flows to one slave, failing over to a backup
                    slave when the active slave is  disabled.   This  is  the
                    only bonding mode in which interfaces may be plugged into
                    different upstream switches

I read the INTERNALS [2] document to get more details on the complications with \
balance-slb, but after reading this I still don't see anything that would prevent \
balance-slb from working when connected to two separate switches. My lab testing here \
is positive so far.

Am I missing some piece of information about why this is a bad idea? I'd like to take \
full advantage of the bond member bandwidth for the multiple virtual machines running \
on this host, AND get the fault tolerance that two separate switches provide. Ideally \
I'd be able to do this without any configuration on the switch side such as LACP. Is \
balance-slb a good way to do this, or is there some other way?

Thanks for your help!

[1] http://openvswitch.org/support/dist-docs/ovs-vswitchd.conf.db.5.html
[2] https://github.com/openvswitch/ovs/blob/master/vswitchd/INTERNALS

Jason Burns