List:       openvswitch-discuss
Subject:    [ovs-discuss] prio scheduler
From:       lucabianchi91 () hotmail ! it (Luca Bianchi)
Date:       2015-06-25 22:59:10

Hi,

(sorry for dropping the mailing list, I had troubles with a new mail client)

I think that the problem is in the translation of queue names between OF, ovs and \
linux.

I explain briefly:

I have 3 iperf client, an ovs switch and an iperf server (linked to switch's eth4)

h1---link 10M---|-s1:eth1---queue1 or 123---\

h2---link 10M---|-s1:eth2---queue2 or 234---|-qdisc---s1:eth4-|---link 10M---h4

h3---link 10M---|-s1:eth3---queue3 or 345---/

I direct the traffic of each client on a separate queue to see how
bandwidth sharing reflects scheduler's setting (observed from h4)

---------HTB-------------

In both htb cases, the controller install rules that direct flows to queues 123, 234, \
345.

---case1, ovs commands, working---

With ovs commands I create queue 123, 234, 345 (that in exa correspond to 7b, ea, \
159).

When I check with tc commands, I notice that Linux kernel automatically
creates an htb qdisc 1:, to which is attached class 1:ffe,to which are
attached classes 1:7c, 1:eb, 1:15a (notice that it increments the number
 of 1). Everything works.

---case2, tc commands, working---

I can also execute directly tc commands (creating classes ffe,7c,eb,15a)
 and obtain the same htb scheduler, and everything works.

(bandwidth is divided as expected, wheter I configure with ovs commands or tc \
commands)

---------PRIO-------------------------

When I use the command "tc qdisc add dev s1-eth4 root handle 1: prio"

linux kernel creates the qdisc prio 1:, to which are attached classes 1:1, 1:2, 1:3.

Using the same logic of htb (linux increments queue id of 1) I thought
that the openflow rules should use queues 0,1,2. But every flows get
simultaneously the whole link capacity.

(I tried also with 1,2,3)

I don't know how to catch the queues' name used by Openflow, since if
classes are created with tc commands (in both cases, htb and prio)
"ovs-vsctl list qos" and "ovs-vsctl list queue" gives no answer.

Thank you very much

Luca Bianchi