List:       openvswitch-discuss
Subject:    [ovs-discuss] How to change sflow sampleType_tag
From:       neil.mckee () inmon ! com (Neil McKee)
Date:       2015-02-24 21:47:51

Sorry for the slow response.

The answer is to add more decoding at the collector.   You could refer to
the "sflowtool" source code for a simple example.

The "struct sampled_ipv4" record (flow sample type 0:3) is only there in
case there is a device somewhere that has that decoded information,  but
somehow cannot access the original packet that was sampled  (believe it or
not,  there was a router once that found itself in this unlikely
predicament).   Since OVS has the original packet it is required to export
that instead.  Much better.  This is how the simplest layer-2 switch can
provide visibility into higher-layers, tunnels, complex relationships etc.
without having to do anything more than sample packets in a stateless way.

In fact,  when OVS sends samples up from the kernel to sFlow it does rather
more packet-decoding work that it strictly needs to.   We could trim a few
cycles there,  but it's hardly worth changing because it only happens for
sampled packets and typical sampling rates are of the order of 1:1000.

Regards,
Neil

------
Neil McKee