List:       openvswitch-discuss
Subject:    [ovs-discuss] failed to put[create][modify]
From:       fiezzi () enter ! it (Federico Iezzi)
Date:       2014-06-30 20:08:54

Hi Jesse,

Here we go, I?m really sorry for this huge delay but I had some trouble.
So I tested all OVS version from 2.1.0 (under advise of Salvatore Orlando) to 2.3, \
all of this with kernel 3.11 to 3.13 and I had the following result.

With Kernel 3.12 or 3.13 AND OVS 2.1 (datapath come from Kernel) or with OVS 2.2 2.3 \
AND Kernel 3.11 (datapath come from OVS) I have the error ?failed to put? into log. \
During this message I have packet loss and retransmission. With Kernel 3.11 and OVS \
compiled from branch-2.1 I don?t have any issue. The datapath came from OVS.

The following commit means my OVS version, because I compile and generate the DEB \
file from GIT branch:

- OVS 2.1 -> https://github.com/openvswitch/ovs/commit/daded0421c7b746c4ce54b6f79061918ed440edf

- OVS 2.2 -> https://github.com/openvswitch/ovs/commit/d90edfa1251b04dea3820af126c18527de2aa12e

- OVS 2.3 -> https://github.com/openvswitch/ovs/commit/803485697dd690490395a81685dd547bf38810af

I?m sorry but I didn?t have any time to test OVS 2.0.1 LTS with kernel 3.11.

Also as OS I?m using Ubuntu Server 12.04.4 x64 full upgrade, as Kernel I tested the \
following version:

Kernel 3.11
-http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changelogs/pool/main/l/linux/linux_3.11.0-19.33/
-http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changelogs/pool/main/l/linux/linux_3.11.0-24.41/

Kernel 3.13
- http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changelogs/pool/main/l/linux/linux_3.13.0-27.50/
- http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changelogs/pool/main/l/linux/linux_3.13.0-29.53/

Kernel 3.12, the vanilla version ?3.12.23? provided by Linus from kernel.org

All my hardware is based on Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2, E5-2630, E5-2650 v2 and E5-2670 \
v2.

The following are my version of the build dependencies
dpkg -l | grep -E "(debhelper|autoconf|automake|libssl-dev|bzip2|openssl|graphviz|python-all|procps|python-qt4)"

ii  autoconf                           2.68-1ubuntu2                       automatic \
configure script builder ii  automake                           1:1.11.3-1ubuntu2     \
Tool for generating GNU Standards-compliant Makefiles ii  automake1.10                \
1:1.10.3-1ubuntu1                   A tool for generating GNU Standards-compliant \
Makefiles ii  bzip2                              1.0.6-1                             \
high-quality block-sorting file compressor - utilities ii  debhelper                  \
9.20120115ubuntu3                   helper programs for debian/rules ii  dh-apparmor  \
2.7.102-0ubuntu3.9                  AppArmor debhelper routines ii  graphviz          \
2.26.3-10ubuntu1.1                  rich set of graph drawing tools ii  \
libgnutls-openssl27                2.12.14-5ubuntu3.8                  GNU TLS \
library - OpenSSL wrapper ii  libssl-dev                         1.0.1-4ubuntu5.15    \
SSL development libraries, header files and documentation ii  openssl                 \
1.0.1-4ubuntu5.15                   Secure Socket Layer (SSL) binary and related \
cryptographic tools ii  procps                             1:3.2.8-11ubuntu6.3        \
/proc file system utilities ii  python-all                         2.7.3-0ubuntu2.2   \
package depending on all supported Python runtime versions ii  python-openssl         \
0.12-1ubuntu2.1                     Python wrapper around the OpenSSL library ii  \
python-qt4                         4.9.1-2ubuntu1                      Python \
bindings for Qt4

As Ethernet NIC I?m using Mellanox Connect X-3 EN Pro and only EN 10 and 40/56Gbps \
with latest OFED and Firmware. As Ethernet Switch I?m using Mellanox SX1024 with a \
special OS and Firmware version.

During the issue I don?t any problem in my internal network communication (ICMP, \
ICMPv6, TCP and UDP).

If you need more detail please tell me.
If you think to be found a workaround or a probable solution tell me and I?ll try to \
provide some test nodes.

Regards,
Federico