List:       openvswitch-discuss
Subject:    [ovs-discuss] create vxlan tunnel with remote_ip entered as hostname
From:       lojakab () cisco ! com (Lori Jakab)
Date:       2014-06-26 20:47:06

On 6/26/14, 6:36 PM, Vasiliy Tolstov wrote:
>> Older versions of ovs-vsctl may not report the error, but you will see it on
>> the ovs-vswitchd log file.
>>
>> Implementing IPv6 support for tunnels is not trivial.  You need to add
>> support in both user space and kernel datapath, and the netlink protocol
>> between the two.  This involves changes in many files.
>
> Thanks, i see. =(
> Okay i'm try to patch some files on userspace and check. If i get
> getaddrinfo on address without dns lookup - does it acceptable
> solution? After that i can simplify switch code based on address
> family..

It's not as simple as using getaddrinfo().  You need to add support for
IPv6 addresses in tunnel related data structures for flows. Please take
a look at datapath/flow.h you'll see struct ovs_key_ipv4_tunnel.  You
would need an IPv6 equivalent.  Same with netlink flow key. In
include/linux/openvswitch.h you have OVS_TUNNEL_KEY_ATTR_IPV4_SRC and
OVS_TUNNEL_KEY_ATTR_IPV4_DST.  You need the IPv6 equivalents.  Then you
need to add the accompanying logic.

I saw you had a similar question for Geneve.  I believe the same applies
there.

-Lori