List:       openvswitch-discuss
Subject:    [ovs-discuss] OVS support for Openflow meter
From:       blp () nicira ! com (Ben Pfaff)
Date:       2014-04-29 3:59:30

On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 11:22:36PM -0300, Flavio Castro wrote:
> So, What does that exactly mean?

Meters are not going to work as-is.

> It means that you guys have a function answering to the "install
> meter"-like requests but it is not implemented in the switch?

All of the OpenFlow protocol functionality for meters is there.  If you
have a hardware OpenFlow switch that supports meters, then it is easy to
support that in OVS.

> I saw some patches (though I don't know what that means exactly too) that
> were talking about meters in the ovs-ofctl function.

The ovs-ofctl commands to support meters are there, should function
properly, and should work with any OpenFlow switch that supports meters.

> Could you give me a reference to understand the difference between
> kernel-based and userspace switches?

This is a non sequitur.  Neither the kernel nor the userspace switch
currently supports meters.