List:       openvswitch-discuss
Subject:    [ovs-discuss] Compiling OVS to be used with UML
From:       otilmans () gmail ! com (Olivier Tilmans)
Date:       2014-02-22 16:57:40

Hello,

I am currently trying to get OVS to run on a UML kernel (namely an
updated version of netkit),
I cannot get the datapath module to load as for some unexplicable
reasons the kernel symbol 'phys_base' gets included in the *.ko
although this symbol is no present in the built kernel. (I checked
/proc/kallsyms & the System.map file)

I execute the following commands to build & install the module (I am
building the latest git release but this occurs for older tags as
well):
$ ./configure --with-linux=~/netkit/kernel/build/linux-3.10.28/ KARCH=um
$ make -C datapath
$ cp datapath/linux/openvswitch.ko /path/to/vm/modules/dir
[switching to vm console)
# modprobe openvswitch
ERROR: could not insert 'openvswitch': Unknown symbol in module, or
unknown parameter (see dmesg)
# dmesg | tail
openvswitch: Unknown symbol phys_base (err 0)

I tracked down this symbol as coming from
datapath/linux/compat/skbuff-openvswitch.o:
$ nm openvswitch/datapath/linux/skbuff-openvswitch.o
                 U __get_page_tail
0000000000000000 r .LC0
                 U mem_map
                 U phys_base
                 U skb_copy_bits
                 U skb_put
0000000000000045 T skb_zerocopy
0000000000000000 T skb_zerocopy_headlen

But I don't really know what to do from there ... According to
http://lxr.free-electrons.com/ident?v=3.10;i=phys_base this symbol
should only appear in sparc/arm and my UML arch is x86_64 ...

Any help/hint would be highly appreciated  !

Regards,

Olivier Tilmans