List:       openvswitch-discuss
Subject:    [ovs-discuss] Vlan not working with upstream OVS kernel module (openvswitch.ko)
From:       jesse () nicira ! com (Jesse Gross)
Date:       2013-10-30 19:31:30

On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 2:46 AM, ashish yadav <ashishyadav78 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have not tested Vlan with Openvswitch_mod.ko (provide by kmod-openvswitch
> rpm (1.4.6 OVS)), so can't comment.
>
> I think Openvswitch_mod.ko (OVS distribution 1.4.6) contain code related
> with vlan ( datapath/vlan.c & vlan.h).
> But same is not true with Openvswitch.ko (upstream kernel module), no file
> related with vlan at net/openvswitch/  .
> May be that make difference, not sure.

There is some extra workarounds/compatibility code in the out of tree
module that isn't present upstream since it doesn't apply to the
kernels where OVS is natively present. Since RHEL/Centos is based on
an older kernel maybe it should also be present there, although you'd
have to look at exactly what has been backported.