List:       openvswitch-discuss
Subject:    [ovs-discuss] OVS Actions: Order of action execution
From:       blp () nicira ! com (Ben Pfaff)
Date:       2012-12-14 16:17:12

On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 07:32:56PM +0500, Ahmed Talha Khan wrote:
> Does OVS perform configured actions in kernel data-path in the same
> sequence in which they appear in an flow_mod message? Or is it otherwise?

Currently OVS performs them in the order they appear in a flow_mod.  In
the future OVS might change the order for performance reasons, but only
in ways that shouldn't matter.  For example, changing the order in which
a packet is output to ports should not make a difference.

> e.g If I want to send packets to a port after changing any of the
> parameters(take nw_dst) then logically the set_action should be performed
> first and then the output actions. Do i need to guarantee this in the
> flow_mod msg that I send from the controller?

You need to specify the actions in the order you want them executed.