List:       openvswitch-discuss
Subject:    [ovs-discuss] Flow miss/Packet order question
From:       blp () nicira ! com (Ben Pfaff)
Date:       2012-04-30 17:15:10

I think that your explanation stems from a misunderstanding.  Yes, if
an OpenFlow controller uses a reactive model, then it cannot avoid the
problem.  However, I think that Joji is raising a different issue, one
that is an implementation detail within Open vSwitch and that
controllers have no power to avoid.

Let me explain in detail.  When a packet arrives for which there is no
kernel flow, the kernel sends it to userspace.  Userspace sends the
packet and sets up a kernel flow.  In the meantime, more packets might
have arrived and been queued to userspace.  Userspace will send these
packets, but any packets that arrive after the kernel flow is set up
will be forwarded directly by the kernel before those queued to
userspace go out.