List:       openvswitch-discuss
Subject:    [ovs-discuss] GRE tunnel not working when interface name lenght > 13 characters
From:       jpettit () nicira ! com (Justin Pettit)
Date:       2012-02-15 18:02:06

On Feb 15, 2012, at 9:56 AM, Jesse Gross wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 9:52 AM, Salvatore Orlando
> <Salvatore.Orlando at eu.citrix.com> wrote:
> > Hi Jesse,
> >
> > I apologise I did not configure correctly the vswitch on the Ubuntu machine \
> > running 1.2. The behaviour seems anyway confirmed in 1.0.99, but I suspect that's \
> > unsupported now.
> > Anyway, is the behaviour when the interface name exceeds the 16 character limit \
> > documented? Ovs-vsctl did not raise any error message.
>
> It's a standard limit of network devices in Linux.

Also, the description of the "name" column in the Interface table recommends keeping \
the length to around 8 bytes:

	name: string (must be unique within table) Interface name. Should be
	alphanumeric and no more than about 8 bytes long. May be the same
	as the port name, for non-bonded ports. Must otherwise be unique
	among the names of ports, interfaces, and bridges on a host.

Although we're probably not entirely successful, we try not to put too much \
Linux-specific information in the ovs-vswitchd.conf.db man page, since OVS is ported \
to other systems.

--Justin