List:       openvswitch-discuss
Subject:    [ovs-discuss] dividing link througput on VM
From:       blp () nicira ! com (Ben Pfaff)
Date:       2010-07-29 16:43:24

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 09:37:57AM -0700, kk yap wrote:
> As a related question, isn't there a way to add flows using ovs-ofctl
> without having a controller?

Absolutely.  That could be sufficient, in simple cases.  Just set up a
flow that matches the traffic you want and enqueue it to where it should
go.

However there are at least two problems:

        - OpenFlow 1.0 doesn't allow enqueuing to the NORMAL port (or
          even to the FLOOD port), so you have to know the correct
          output port.  (Open vSwitch could allow enqueuing to other
          ports as an extension, but currently it doesn't.)

        - ovs-ofctl does not support the "enqueue" action that is
          required to take advantage of QoS.  That's just an oversight.
          I'll add fixing it to my to-do list.