List:       openvpn-users
Subject:    Re: [Openvpn-users] Need working way to authenticate in RADIUS.
From:       Gert Doering <gert () greenie ! muc ! de>
Date:       2022-12-14 13:05:16

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi,

On Wed, Dec 14, 2022 at 01:58:11PM +0100, Bogdan Rudas wrote:
> We mind RADIUS for MFA and password checks. Having RADIUS just checking
> password+OTP via external MFA works, however any time spent in RADIUS
> communication for one client session means the traffic to other clients is
> stuck, that is why I was asking 'what plugin is good'. I wonder if the PAM
> plugin is really asynchronous by default.

plugin-auth-pam can run sync or async.  Part of my test suite is "run this
with a non-responding radius server (15s timeout)" so I can attest "yes,
this is very well tested in async/deferred mode".

> Besides OTP, there are MFA mobile
> applications that require users to press a button on their smartphone for
> confirmation. In such cases RADIUS will reply when a user pressed the
> button and thus the entire OpenVPN instance will be stuck for an even
> longer time.

I understand.  I've been there, which is why I added async/deferred handling
to plugin-auth-pam :-)

gert

Gert Doering - Munich, Germany                             gert@greenie.muc.de