List:       openvpn-users
Subject:    [Openvpn-users] HEADS UP: removal of --mktun and --rmtun in 2.6
From:       Gert Doering <gert () greenie ! muc ! de>
Date:       2022-07-06 9:07:37

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi,

we are discussing to remove support for openvpn --mktun / --rmtun options
in the upcoming 2.6 release - because it complicates the code, and we
think there is no actual *need* for it anymore (and it's Linux only, etc).

With "ip", there is a submode "ip tuntap", which does the same thing,
so

  # openvpn --mktun --dev tun4

becomes

  # ip tuntap add mode tun name tun4

and similar for tap stuff, "user / group" settings, etc.

So, this message is intended to do two things

 - raise awareness "this will come in 2.6!"
 - and also gather feedback: *if* you use openvpn --mktun today, please
   test "ip tuntap..." and let us know if it gets the job done properly,
   or of something is missing.

The code is not removed yet, but will be, unless there are strong reasons
to keep it.

gert

Gert Doering - Munich, Germany                             gert@greenie.muc.de