List:       openvas-development
Subject:    Re: [Openvas-devel] [Openvas-discuss] Discontinuing openvas-plugins
From:       Javier =?iso-8859-1?Q?Fern=E1ndez-Sanguino_Pe=F1a?= <jfs () computer ! org>
Date:       2009-06-24 23:05:38

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 10:11:46AM +0200, Michael Wiegand wrote:
> I would like your opinions regarding the following issues:
>
> - What would be the consequences of discontinuing the tarball release?
>   There should not be installations which use only the tarball and never
>   sync, should there?

No tarball means no package in the distributions. People using a
distribution (such as Debian / Ubuntu cds) with no or limited Internet access
would not be able to get plugins and, consequentely, would have a
mostly useless tool.

> - What mechanisms should be available for users who cannot sync using
>   rsync due to restrictions on firewall or proxy level?

Full download of the content using HTTP(s) which (typically) is something
allowed through corporate proxies (even if limited through user / password).

> - Should openvasd force an initial sync during installation or just
>   display a notice that a sync is need to use OpenVAS?

It should only display a notice. Plugin updates should always be driven by
administrators.

My 2c,

Regards

Javier