List:       openswan-users
Subject:    Re: [Openswan Users] NAT Traversal, No Proposal Chosen, No Preshared Key, Oakley Authentication Meth
From:       Dane Ruyle <druyle () certona ! com>
Date:       2015-07-21 16:58:14

Resending.....  Any help?

I rolled out Openswan in AWS in 2 different VPC's so they could talk to each other,  \
it was up and running in less than 30 minutes.   This is simple!!

It works very well, want to move everything to Openswan from local site A to the \
Openswan instance in AWS because my very very old firewall cannot handle so much \
IPSEC.

Rolled out Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, apt-get install openswan.  It is behind a firewall, \
which I guess I need to enable NAT Traversal (it was already enabled).

Many attempts at setting this up, the constant is "Site A-AWS"  xxx Can't \
authenticate:  no preshared key for "aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd" "eee.fff.ggg.hhh".

I've downloaded the newest version of openswan on the local Site A box - compiled, \
started getting errors when trying to enable NAT traversal or add it into the Kernel \
or whatever. According to my findings, it looks like NAT traversal is part of the \
kernel. It looks like it installed OK because now I am seeing new messages about \
Oakley Authentication?   No idea what this is.  What happened to Netkey?  No idea \
what that is.

The secrets file is simple.  The conf file is simple.

How can something be so easy to setup in AWS and such a pain outside AWS?

ATTEMPT #1 - copy/modify working AWS config Site A  Openswan version on apt-get, did \
not note it.

"sitea-aws.conf"
conn colo1-to-nca
        type=tunnel
        authby=secret
        left=192.168.0.13
        leftid=xxx.xxx.xxx.204
        leftnexthop=10.103.0.11
        leftsubnet=192.168.0.0/24
        right=xxx.xxx.xxx.105
        rightsubnet=10.103.0.0/16
        pfs=yes
        auto=start

"sitea-aws.secrets"
xxx.xxx.xxx.105 xxx.xxx.xxx.204: PSK "keyhere"

RIGHT - AWS  Openswan 2.6.37
"sitea-aws.conf"
conn aws-sitea
        type=tunnel
        authby=secret
        left=%defaultroute
        leftid=xxx.xxx.xxx.105
        leftnexthop=%defaultroute
        leftsubnet=10.103.0.0/16
        right=xxx.xxx.xxx.204
        rightsubnets=192.168.0.0/24,172.21.0.0/16
        pfs=yes
        auto=start

"sitea-aws.secrets"
xxx.xxx.xxx.105 xxx.xxx.xxx.204: PSK "keyhere"

ATTEMPT #2 - using configurator
Site A  Upgraded Openswan to version 2.6.43 "tunnel1.conf"
conn sitea-nca
        type=tunnel
        auth=esp
        authby=secret
        ikelifetime=1440m
        rekeymargin=10m
        rekeyfuzz=0%
        keylife=3600s
        esp=3des-md5
        ike=3des-md5
        keyexchange=ike
        pfs=yes
        left=192.168.0.13
        leftsubnet=192.168.0.0/24
        leftnexthop=%defaultroute
        leftid=xxx.xxx.xxx.204
        right=xxx.xxx.xxx.105
        rightsubnet=10.103.0.0/16
        rightnexthop=%defaultroute
        rightid=xxx.xxx.xxx.105
        auto=start

"tunnel1.secrets"
xxx.xxx.xxx.204 xxx.xxx.xxx.105: PSK "keyhere"

AWS Side
conn colo1-sitea
        type=tunnel
        auth=esp
        authby=secret
        ikelifetime=1440m
        rekeymargin=10m
        rekeyfuzz=0%
        keylife=3600s
        esp=3des-md5
        ike=3des-md5
        keyexchange=ike
        pfs=yes
        left=10.103.0.11
        leftsubnet=10.103.0.0/16
        leftnexthop=%defaultroute
        leftid=xxx.xxx.xxx.105
        right=xxx.xxx.xxx.204
        rightsubnet=192.168.0.0/24
        rightnexthop=%defaultroute
        rightid=xxx.xxx.xxx.204
        auto=start

"tunnel1.secrets"
xxx.xxx.xxx.105 xxx.xxx.xxx.204: PSK "keyhere"

I've tried many different things, never got past the preshared key problem.