List:       openswan-users
Subject:    Re: [Openswan Users] [NEWBIE] Help needed - Openswan 2.2 - Sarge 2.4.27 <-> Cisco Pix
From:       "Peter McGill" <petermcgill () goco ! net>
Date:       2006-11-28 14:39:25

I did a quick search of the list history at: \
http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.network.openswan.user There wasn't much there relating to \
this, but what was seemed to indicate a problem with a NAT.

Is either your server or the cisco going through a NAT'ing router?

> On Netfilter, I work in full open mode with the rightside peer.
> Faq, talk about firewall problem ??

I doubt it, I would have expected it to stop on STATE_MAIN_I1 in that case.
Just in case you need to allow the following:
iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -p udp --dport isakmp -j ACCEPT # isakmp = 500
iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -p udp --dport 4500 -j ACCEPT # 4500 is used w/ nat-t
iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -p esp -j ACCEPT # esp = 50
# most of us don't use ah, so you can probably leave the next line out, I've included \
it for completeness iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -p ah -j ACCEPT # ah = 51
You also need to allow outbound ipsec (I usually allow all outbound (I trust my own \
server): iptables -A OUTPUT -j ACCEPT) You also need to allow the tunnel traffic \
before and after encryption: When using KLIPS, which you probably are with kernel \
2.4.x, this is easily done by: iptables -A INPUT -i ipsec0 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A FORWARD -i ipsec0 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A FORWARD -o ipsec0 -j ACCEPT
You can be more restrictive on the above three lines if you want, these just allow \
any traffic that comes encrypted through openswan (How much you trust your peers is \
up to you). NETKEY gets trickier because there is no ipsec0 interface.

> Wrong PSK ?

Maybe but I would have expected to see a clear error, rather than no response.
Check anyway, double check all your connection settings with the remote host.
Don't overlook that Aggressive Mode should be off, and your pfs=, (Perfect
Forward Secrecy) settings should match, pfs=yes (On) is best, but if your
Unsure what the cisco has set, then pfs=no, should allow on or off, depending
Which the Cisco has choosen.

I cc'd the list, in case someone else has another suggestion.

Peter