List:       opensuse-wiki
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-wiki] The GPL jihad gets another victory...
From:       "Joseph M. Gaffney" <CuCullin () wtfisthat ! net>
Date:       2006-02-17 20:02:06

On Friday 17 February 2006 14:30, Mark Hellman wrote:
> ... at the expense of thousands of present and future SuSE users who,
> from now on, won't be able to get their Intel and Smartlink modems,
> their wireless cards, or their ISDN cards to work. The very same devices
> that enable them to connect to the Internet...

Except for when there are OSS drivers available, or companies develop drivers
to exist in userspace.

> Some people foolish think this GPL "sharia" from the kernel folks is a
> sort of social engineering to pressure manufacturers to open their
> drivers code. Understand this once and for all: there have been, there
> are and always will be manufacturers that don't want to open their
> drivers code. It is their legitimate right to do so, and Linux must be
> able to peacefully coexist with this reality. On the user perspective,
> this "sharia" is just on more reason for not using SuSE...

See userspace comment above.

I think what you've said here was inflammatory, ridiculous, flawed, and a
complete waste of time.  If you're going to rant, please rant somewhere
within reality, instead of sending out obviously uninformed crap.

> Mark

Joseph M. Gaffney
aka CuCullin