List:       opensuse-translation
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-translation] Turkmen Translation
From:       Karl Eichwalder <ke () suse ! de>
Date:       2009-07-14 14:17:05

Mergen AGAYEV <mergenchik@yahoo.com> writes:

Hi!

> I've wanted to contribute in localization of OpenSuse to Turkmen Language,
> I've posted mail before (in 2007, \
> http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-translation/2007-12/msg00064.html) but I think \
> replies went to my Spam folder. Yesterday during googling I've found that I really \
> get a response :) sorry for such a big delay.

No problem :)  And thanks for your continued offer.  You now have commit
rights as "mergenchik" and can start with the yast files.

> In responses to my original post Mr. Karl Eichwalder asked if Turkmen
> Alphabet is similar to latin. Yes it is very similar, we don't use
> cyrillic anymore since 1995 as I remember. Letters in Alphabet are as
> in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkmen_alphabet (not cyrillic)

This is good news ;)

> Also there is Turkmen Keyboard layout in Vista, in previous versions
> of Windows there were no turkmen keyboard and we used program which as
> I think patched Hungarian Keyboard Layout to be used as Turkmen.

Jiri, can you make use of this?

> So from where I can begin? What can I do?

Translating two or three yast files would be the best (base,
installation, etc.).  Then we could start testing.  Once this is done,
I'll setup the "lcn" hierarchy.

> I'm currently studying Electronics and Communication Engineering in
> Ankara/Turkey. Here are many students which want to contribute to make
> linux on turkmen.

Sounds great!  Cheers,
Karl

--