List:       opensuse-translation
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-translation] zypper in openSUSE using SLED translations instead of openSUSE ones
From:       Andreas Jaeger <aj () suse ! de>
Date:       2009-02-27 12:44:13

On Friday 27 February 2009 13:07:36 Carlos E. R. wrote:
> On Friday, 2009-02-27 at 08:28 +0100, Olav P. wrote:
> > Fredag 27. februar 2009 03:26:13 skrev Carlos E. R.:
> >> I find this demeaning of our work. I'll have to consider stoping my
> >> collaboration if this is not reverted, for all files affected.
> >>
> >>    :-|
> >>
> >> If you are going to use somebody else's translation, after all the work
> >> we have invested, I see no use in translating anything further. You can
> >> do it on your own. :-/
> >
> > Well, as this after all is volunteer work I don't actually find it
> > "demeaning" but I do find it counter productive.
>
> Well, I don't know how else to name it. Requesting volunteer work, and
> then throwing it away, using instead paid work from somebody else... why
> then should I bother to work at all? Let Novell pay for all the
> translation, and I'll give my time to another outside project where they
> do appreciate my time :-(
>
> It is the other way round. If you pay for a job, you can do as you please
> with the result. If you request free volunteers, you can not happily throw
> away the result, because next time you will not get volunteers.
>
> We are proud of our work and want to see it used, not thrown away.

It is used - and I really appreciate the great work done!  The problem was
that work was done in parallel AFAIU - but I just don't know all details.

Please read also Karl's email from earlier with subject "Before starting with
11.2 translations".

> > I don't know about other languages but for my language (nb), openSUSE
> > translations are generally of a higher quality than SLES/SLED
> > translations.
> >
> > Therefore, the quality of openSUSE translations will drop considerably
> > every time SLED/SLES translations are merged before a translation round.
>
> It hasn't been a merge, but a full replace.

And since we use svn we should be able to revert such things.  Let's give Karl
a chance to return from his vacation and comment on it.

> > This is a general observation and I'm sure there are examples to the
> > opposite effect, both for other languages and for individual strings.
> >
> > Still, I don't think it is a good idea to replace good translations with
> > bad ones, and I find it particularly counter-productive to reinsert typos
> > and translation errors from SLED/SLES that openSUSE translators have
> > corrected during previous rounds
>
> Absolutely.
>
> > It feels rather meaningless to proofread the same strings and correct the
> > same errors over and over again, and translators will of course give up
> > in the end and just leave these bad translation "as is". I do exactly
> > that, i.e. give up an leave reoccurring errors, but I don't like it
> > because files with funny translations will be tagged with my name if I am
> > the last person who has edited a particular file, although most of the
> > funny stuff is produced elsewhere :-).
> > .
>
> Absolutely.
>
> > Here is my suggestion:
> >

> > DO NOT MERGE SLES/SLED TRANSLATIONS AT ALL but make the SLES/SLED
> > translation memory available as a tmx file or something for openSUSE
> > translatiors, That way we can use or disregard  the SLES/SLED translation
> > for any particular string.
>
> I'm not sure I want the memory there, because the utilities using memory
> would do automatic translations using the strings of SLED, not ours (or
> viceversa). We can't be sure of what set they will use.

Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger, Director Platform / openSUSE, aj@suse.de
   Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany