List:       opensuse-translation
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-translation] zypper in openSUSE using SLED translations
From:       "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas () telefonica ! net>
Date:       2009-02-27 12:07:36

On Friday, 2009-02-27 at 08:28 +0100, Olav P. wrote:

> Fredag 27. februar 2009 03:26:13 skrev Carlos E. R.:
>

>> I find this demeaning of our work. I'll have to consider stoping my
>> collaboration if this is not reverted, for all files affected.
>>
>>    :-|
>>
>> If you are going to use somebody else's translation, after all the work we
>> have invested, I see no use in translating anything further. You can do it
>> on your own. :-/
>
> Well, as this after all is volunteer work I don't actually find it "demeaning"
> but I do find it counter productive.

Well, I don't know how else to name it. Requesting volunteer work, and
then throwing it away, using instead paid work from somebody else... why
then should I bother to work at all? Let Novell pay for all the
translation, and I'll give my time to another outside project where they
do appreciate my time :-(

It is the other way round. If you pay for a job, you can do as you please
with the result. If you request free volunteers, you can not happily throw
away the result, because next time you will not get volunteers.

We are proud of our work and want to see it used, not thrown away.

> I don't know about other languages but for my language (nb), openSUSE
> translations are generally of a higher quality than SLES/SLED translations.
>
> Therefore, the quality of openSUSE translations will drop considerably every
> time SLED/SLES translations are merged before a translation round.

It hasn't been a merge, but a full replace.

> This is a general observation and I'm sure there are examples to the opposite
> effect, both for other languages and for individual strings.
>
> Still, I don't think it is a good idea to replace good translations with bad
> ones, and I find it particularly counter-productive to reinsert typos and
> translation errors from SLED/SLES that openSUSE translators have corrected
> during previous rounds

Absolutely.

> It feels rather meaningless to proofread the same strings and correct the same
> errors over and over again, and translators will of course give up in the end
> and just leave these bad translation "as is". I do exactly that, i.e. give up
> an leave reoccurring errors, but I don't like it because files with funny
> translations will be tagged with my name if I am the last person who has
> edited a particular file, although most of the funny stuff is produced
> elsewhere :-).
> .

Absolutely.

> Here is my suggestion:
>

> DO NOT MERGE SLES/SLED TRANSLATIONS AT ALL but make the SLES/SLED translation
> memory available as a tmx file or something for openSUSE translatiors, That
> way we can use or disregard  the SLES/SLED translation for any particular
> string.

I'm not sure I want the memory there, because the utilities using memory
would do automatic translations using the strings of SLED, not ours (or
viceversa). We can't be sure of what set they will use.

- --
Cheers,
        Carlos E. R.