List:       opensuse-packaging
Subject:    Build a package with a some non-free headers
From:       Hans-Peter Jansen <hpj () urpla ! net>
Date:       2022-03-16 21:47:27

Hi,

I am faced with a dilemma.

A bunch of users are asking me to activate the OptiX renderer for Blender.

Unlike CUDA, OptiX requires some non-free include files during build[1].
The idea is to fetch the headers, that are provided by NVidia with wget
in order to avoid packaging them up in the source rpm.

I understand, that this is a problem, but is there any chance to get this
going. E.g. using the download service, but not packaging it later on.

If I look at builds like gradle or rancher-desktop, they all end up fetching
huge amounts of binaries from some web resources.

Here; we're talking about a few header files, that we just should avoid to
redistribute.

Here's my current state of affairs[2].

Cheers,
Pete
--
Life without chameleons is possible, but pointless.

[1] https://devtalk.blender.org/t/blender-2-8-cycles-optix-packaging/12533/14
[2] https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/home:frispete:blender/blender-310