List:       opensuse-packaging
Subject:    RFC: New devel project devel:languages:python:pyqt and deal with different SIP versions
From:       Ben Greiner <code () bnavigator ! de>
Date:       2021-02-19 19:48:35

Hello,

python-sip, python-qt5 and co. have always been kind of a foreign body
to C++ focused KDE:Qt5. May I propose to create
devel:languages:python:pyqt and put related packages into that one?
Maintainers could be python and QT/KDE people together.

## List of existing packages to be considered:

python-pyqt-builder
python-pyqt-rpm-macros
python-qt3d-qt5
python-qt5
python-qt5-sip
python-qtcharts-qt5
python-qtdatavis3d-qt5
python-qtwebengine-qt5
python-sip
python-sip4
qscintilla-qt5

## New packages to be created (using the PyPI names as naming template
instead of continuing the legacy rpm package names. Of course
appropriate `Provides:` tags for the rpm names should be included):

python-PyQt6 (also providing python-qt6)
python-PyQt6-sip (also providing python-qt6-sip)
python-PyQt6-3D (also providing python-qt3d-qt6)
python-PyQt6-NetworkAuth (also providing python-networkauth-qt6)
python-sip6 (see below)
... and more of the family as they are released upstream.

## Not PyQt[56] but closely related or the "competitor":

python-PySide6
python-PySide2 (currently python3-pyside2)
python-QtAwesome
python-QtPy
python-poppler-qt5
qutebrowser
eric

There is also SIP v6 now. Some packages still depend on SIP v4 (e.g.
cura libraries) or use the legacy features of SIP v5 (e.g. the sip5
executable), so we can't just have a single up to date python-sip. After
some discussion with DimStar a few days ago, I propose, what I call the
"tornado approach", because it is what python-tornado is doing right now:

* Have python-sip4, python-sip5, python-sip6, all providing python-sip
* Make python-sip a meta package and have it require the currently
preferred default (python-sip5 at the moment).
* Have the appropriate `Prefer:` tags in prjconf.

Thoughts and comments welcome!

Ben