List:       opensuse-packaging
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-packaging] Failed build dependencies with ifnarch
From:       Johannes Meixner <jsmeix () suse ! de>
Date:       2019-05-27 6:47:03

Hello,

On May 24 09:56 Todd Rme wrote (excerpt):
> So what should architecture should we use for a program that runs on
> x86, x86_64, ppc64, and ppc64le without modification, but doesn't run
> on aarch64?  There is no mechanism as far as I know for a
> "almostnoarch" package.
>
> In this case, however, the package itself is completely noarch.  One
> of its testing dependencies, though, although it works on most
> architectures, makes assumptions about how binary data is stored that
> means it doesn't work on aarch64.  But this package has no control
> over that.

perhaps I misunderstand something special here but
"doesn't run on aarch64"
versus
"the package itself is completely noarch"
is a contradiction.

I think when a program does not work on all architectures
its package cannot be "noarch".

See my reasoning at
https://github.com/rear/rear/issues/629
and the comments in
https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file/Archiving:Backup:Rear:Snapshot/rear/rear.spec?expand=1

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
--
SUSE LINUX GmbH - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)
GF: Felix Imendoerffer, Mary Higgins, Sri Rasiah