List:       opensuse-packaging
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-packaging] rpmlint rules for /var/run
From:       Neal Gompa <ngompa13 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2018-12-11 1:38:20

On Mon, Dec 10, 2018 at 7:40 AM Ludwig Nussel <ludwig.nussel@suse.de> wrote:

> Thorsten Kukuk schrieb:
> > [...]
> > In general, %ghost for tmpfiles on tmpfs doesn't make any sense
> > and only makes later a lot of trouble. This should be completly
>
> For example?
>
> > forbidden. And robustness is here more important than the wish of
>
> Well, if robustness is the main argument then a method that requires
> packagers to maintain file information in two places and to add fragile
> scripting sections hardly reaches that goal. Scriptlets need to become
> the exception, not the rule.
> rpm needs to be enhanced to handle at least the simple cases, no
> need for extra configs and scripting sections.

Most of these issues are self-inflicted in openSUSE. I upstreamed file
triggers and macros to systemd upstream that resolved this problem
earlier in the year. And prior to that, both Fedora and Mageia had
implementations that allowed this to not be the case.

To be quite honest, the openSUSE scriptlets for services are insane
and need to be culled for the good of humanity. The fact that they are
so different from everyone else when the things they are handling are
otherwise exactly the same implies no one is seriously looking at what
they do and how to simplify them.

I would have already taken a look at doing so, if it weren't for the
fact that openSUSE systemd is a fork that regularly runs behind
upstream. It's depressing to see that SUSE engineers aren't
contributing their changes to systemd upstream so that they don't need
to maintain such heavy forks. This problem also exists with dracut,
which is so far behind upstream that it's missing major features that
even kiwi can't use on openSUSE, but can on every other distribution.