List:       opensuse-packaging
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-packaging] rpmlint rules for /var/run
From:       Frederic Crozat <fcrozat () suse ! com>
Date:       2018-12-10 9:18:31

Le vendredi 07 décembre 2018 à 13:50 -0500, Todd Rme a écrit :
> I am trying to get xrootd updated to work with systemd (as well as
> various other improvements), but I am running into two rules in
> rpmlint and I can't figure out how to make both checks pass.
>
> The problem is that it is expecting a directory in /var/run, and if I
> leave it off I get this warning:
>
> xrootd-server.i586: W: tmpfile-not-in-filelist /var/run/xrootd
> please add the specified file to your %files section as %ghost so
> users can
> easily query who created the file, it gets uninstalled on package
> removal and
> finally other rpmlint checks see it
>
> However, if I add it like this:
>
> %ghost %{_var}/run/%{name}
>
> Or this:
>
> %ghost %dir %{_var}/run/%{name}
>
> I get the following error:
>
> xrootd-server.x86_64: E: dir-or-file-in-var-run (Badness: 10000)
> /var/run/xrootd
> A file in the package is located in /var/run. It's not permitted for
> packages
> to install files in this directory.
>
> How can I set things up to satisfy both rules?

First, /var/run is obsolete, you should use /run instead (/var/run is a
symlink to /run ).

To create the directory, you should have tmpfiles in your package to
create it at install time and for each reboot.

Everything should be explained in https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Systemd_packaging_guidelines
(Creating files and subdirectories in /var/run and /run section).

--
Frederic Crozat
Enterprise Desktop Release Manager