List:       opensuse-packaging
Subject:    [opensuse-packaging] Following upstream git repo with gnulib: "./bootstrap && ./configure && make" w
From:       Bernhard Voelker <mail () bernhard-voelker ! de>
Date:       2018-11-30 22:17:53

Hi *,

I'm trying to follow an upstream GNU package's Git repo which has a gnulib
submodule, and PO files from 'translationproject.org'.

Example:
  https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/home:berny:branches:fromgit/hello

Do I do it right?

Long story:
In this case, I need to create a distribution tarball without gnulib
and PO from network.  Furthermore, "obs_scm" service doesn't create
a full Git clone; so in my example - GNU hello, for simplicity - I needed
to add a hack to be able to create the manpage.

The idea is:

a) let _service get the package from the remote Git repo.
(unfortunately, this yields the working tree without the '.git/' history).

b) let _service download the PO files --> "SourceXY".

c) GNU hello specific: manpage creating is usually only done in
maintainer environment, i.e., with a '.git/' directory.  Add a
little patch to work around it.

d) in '%prep'', copy the PO files into the build tree.

e) in '%build', create the LINGUAS file.

f) in %build:
f.1) create the intermediate distribution tarball using:
       ./bootstrap ... && ./configure && make all dist

f.2) create the final build from the above distribution tarball:
       tar -xf ... && ./configure && make

Does anybody else do something like that?

Thanks & have a nice day,
Berny