List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-factory] Plan for python2-only packages
From:       Todd Rme <toddrme2178 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2018-05-23 18:33:13

On Tue, May 22, 2018 at 2:46 AM, Joachim Wagner
<jwagner@computing.dcu.ie> wrote:
>> [...] last update 2009, last update 2014... Nothing is
>> so bugfree to not varrant even one bugfix release :).
>
> In well tested/aged software, remaining bugs only show when new, unexpected
> input arrives or the environment changes. 9 years without a bug report is
> possible for applications with a narrow use case and a small user base.
>
> Joachim

devel:languages:python:singlespec-staging has most of the packages
that need to be converted.  In fact most of them have already been
automatically converted, they just need to be checked since the
automatic conversion isn't perfect.

But that assumes the package supports python 3 to begin with.  There
are lots of packages that don't support python 3 and almost certainly
never will because they haven't been touched upstream in years.  Those
are what my current proposal focuses on.

devel:languages:python:misc has packages that are not in or submitted
to openSUSE:factory.  Many of those are in pretty good shape, often
just needing and update and a license macro in the files.  Others,
however, haven't been updated in years.