List:       opensuse-packaging
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-packaging] Python scripts and rpmlint
From:       Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar <dimstar () opensuse ! org>
Date:       2017-10-17 19:31:56

On Tue, 2017-10-17 at 21:01 +0200, Peter Simons wrote:
> Todd Rme writes:
>
>  > executable scripts with "/usr/bin/env" cause an error
>
> This is a rather surprising proposition considering that
>
>   #! /usr/bin/env python3
>
> is the only portable choice for calling "python3". Not everything is
> installed in /usr/bin, and even if there is a /usr/bin/python, then
> it's
> not necessarily the interpreter the users wants to be used. If such a
> system-path is hard-coded into the script, then it's a lot more
> difficult to re-use it in other contexts. Relying on whatever is in
> $PATH, however, gives users control over what is going on, so I very
> much prefer that as a default choice.

/usr/bin/python3 is the right thing for our package - which are built
and tested against that python interpreter. There is no reason to allow
a different interpreter on packaged stuff.

It is not the right thing (possibly) for things the user installs by
hand and not by means of the package manager.

Cheers
Dominique