List:       opensuse-packaging
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-packaging] Re: How do I make rpm output a message on installation?
From:       Bruno Friedmann <bruno () ioda-net ! ch>
Date:       2017-09-20 10:00:14

On mercredi, 20 septembre 2017 11.27:06 h CEST Dave Plater wrote:
> On 20/09/2017 10:41, Andreas Schwab wrote:
> > On Sep 20 2017, Dave Plater <dplater.list@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> The new blender-2.79 has a compatibility problem with the previous
> >> version. Do I simply use cat message file or echo in %postin to output a
> >> warning message or is there another way?
> >
> > I think the notifications implemented via /var/adm/update-messages are a
> > good fit.  See mariadb for an example.
> >
> > Andreas.
>
> That's most probably the most complicated %post I've ever come across.
> So I create the message in
> %{_localstatedir}/adm/update-messages/%{name}-%{version}-%{release} use
> cat to display it %ghost it and delete it?
> Thanks
> Dave P

Perhaps it is a bit simplier than mariadb you can have a look at
https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file/security:netfilter/shorewall/
shorewall.spec?expand=1

pretrans postrans and files.

It allow me to warn user when major release is done
as the 4x to 5x version so people remember to run the
upgrade.

--

Bruno Friedmann
 Ioda-Net SÃ rl www.ioda-net.ch