List:       opensuse-packaging
Subject:    [opensuse-packaging] Re: Packaging python singlespec applications
From:       jan matejek <jmatejek () suse ! com>
Date:       2017-09-13 11:42:27

[Attachment #2 (multipart/mixed)]

hello,

On 12.9.2017 21:28, Todd Rme wrote:
> First, it would be nice if %python_subpackages allowed us to specify
> additional packages to manage. These would be packages named using
> "%package -n foo" that we nevertheless want to have multiple versions
> of. The macros would then create a set of packages
> "foo-%{python_bin_suffix}". So for example we might say
> %{python_subpackages spyder}. If we did that, we would get
> "spyder-3.6" and "spyder-2.7", with Requires, Provides, Obsoletes, and
> %files all handled appropriately for the given python version.

I kind of like this, but don't quite understand how you would use it.
You're presuming the package is called "spyder"? or "python-spyder"? what=
 is the subpackage here?

> Second, it would be nice if there was some way to handle "%files -f
> file". This is pretty much mandatory for -lang packages. So perhaps
> something as bare-bones as allowing %files %{python_files foo -f
> foo-%{$python_bin_suffix}.bar}, or something more advanced like
> %{python_files foo -f foo.bar} which automatically inserts
> %{$python_bin_suffix}

Trouble with %files -f is that there is no good way to process the fileli=
st -- it is generated at
build time, but singlespec macros run at preprocessing time.
A solution might be having a separate step in the %install section that w=
ould generate/convert the
separate filelists?

> Third, it would be nice if %python_clone handled .desktop files and
> appdata.xml files, or there was some alternative macro for these.

That probably can be done. Please file a bug at github.com/opensuse/pytho=
n-rpm-macros

> Fourth, it would be nice if there was a singlespec-aware version of
> %find_lang and perhaps even %lang_package. %find_lang is easy enough
> to handle manually with grep, but I have not found a good solution for
> %lang_package.

There's an existing bug for %find_lang. %lang_package probably can be fol=
ded under that.

regards
m.