List:       opensuse-packaging
Subject:    [opensuse-packaging] Packaging python singlespec applications
From:       Todd Rme <toddrme2178 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2017-09-12 19:28:30

According to python packaging guidelines, python-based GUI
applications should not have the "python-", "python2-", or "python3-"
prefix. Ideally this wouldn't be a problem, since these are not
dependent on the python version they use. However, a lot of them turn
out to be either IDEs (e.g. Spyder), shells (e.g. jupyter's qtconsole
or bpython), or other development tools that are dependent on the
specific version of python they are built against.

Such packages are hard to use with singlespec macros. One option would
simply be to change or not follow the package naming guidelines for
such packages. Some packages, such as jupyter, do not follow them, but
others like spyder do.

Another option would be to make the macros more useful with such
packages.  If we go this route, I see four changes that would be
extremely helpful in this regard.

First, it would be nice if %python_subpackages allowed us to specify
additional packages to manage. These would be packages named using
"%package -n foo" that we nevertheless want to have multiple versions
of. The macros would then create a set of packages
"foo-%{python_bin_suffix}". So for example we might say
%{python_subpackages spyder}. If we did that, we would get
"spyder-3.6" and "spyder-2.7", with Requires, Provides, Obsoletes, and
%files all handled appropriately for the given python version.

Second, it would be nice if there was some way to handle "%files -f
file". This is pretty much mandatory for -lang packages. So perhaps
something as bare-bones as allowing %files %{python_files foo -f
foo-%{$python_bin_suffix}.bar}, or something more advanced like
%{python_files foo -f foo.bar} which automatically inserts
%{$python_bin_suffix}

Third, it would be nice if %python_clone handled .desktop files and
appdata.xml files, or there was some alternative macro for these.

Fourth, it would be nice if there was a singlespec-aware version of
%find_lang and perhaps even %lang_package. %find_lang is easy enough
to handle manually with grep, but I have not found a good solution for
%lang_package.