List:       opensuse-packaging
Subject:    [opensuse-packaging] Re: Python packages naming rules
From:       jan matejek <jmatejek () suse ! com>
Date:       2017-08-24 16:23:19

[Attachment #2 (multipart/mixed)]

On 24.8.2017 18:03, Todd Rme wrote:

> I would be strongly against having "python3-foo" obsolete/provide
> "python-foo", that would break both packages and users own scripts.

I don't see how that breaks user scripts?
Do we expect someone to rely on package names in a way that would also touch custom scripts?

As for breaking packages, that is true. OTOH, I will be doing a conversion run on Factory to replace
all "python-foo" with a versioned require anyway.
(I intend to first replace with "python3-foo", see what breaks, then revert to "python2-foo" where
python3 is not supported)

I admit that i'm biased towards breaking things ;) Mainly for the sake of discovering *what exactly*
breaks and if we actually need to have it.

OTOH, maybe some rpmlint and submission checks are sufficient for this purpose and we can keep old
packages untouched.

regards
m.