List:       opensuse-packaging
Subject:    [opensuse-packaging] devel:languages:python:legacy proposal
From:       Todd Rme <toddrme2178 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2017-08-24 16:09:41

There are a lot of packages in devel:languages:python that are simply
unmaintained. Upstream will never update them to support python3. This
is both a maintenance burden and a potential security issue.

So I suggest wherever possible we move away from these packages. When
we can they should be removed from factory and removed as (optional)
dependencies for other packages.

I also suggest that we create a new subproject for
devel:languages:python, perhaps devel:languages:python:legacy, where
these packages can live.

Of course packages that are needed for other packages, or packages
that are maintained but python2-only, will remain as-is. This is only
for packages that have not seen upstream activity for, say, 3 years,
and don't support modern versions of python3 (3.4+).

I would be against dropping the packages entirely as long as they still work.