List:       opensuse-packaging
Subject:    [opensuse-packaging] Re: Python packages naming rules
From:       jan matejek <jmatejek () suse ! com>
Date:       2017-08-18 13:34:02

[Attachment #2 (multipart/mixed)]

hello,

On 18.8.2017 10:07, Sebastian wrote:
> First there are the generic naming guidelines which say that the dash
> '-' must not be used "as the delimiter for name parts".[2]

ISTM you misread the part of the wiki, it says quite the opposite: you sh=
ould use "-" (dash), you
should NOT use other separators (such as "_", "+" and ".")

> Then there is the more specific naming policy for python packages which=

> says the package must be called "python-$pypiname". It does not mention=

> any exceptions (at least I haven't found any). In the above example the=

> pypi's name is "gogs-client" and results in

The issue with your request is the discrepancy in the package's PyPI iden=
tifier. Upstream seems to
think the name should be "gogs_client", but uploaded as "gogs-client", ex=
cept the filename is still
"gogs_client".

Upstream sometimes does that, and PyPI does nothing to stop them.
Such is the world we live in.

As I wrote on the request, "_" and "-" are treated the same by PyPI ecosy=
stem. "pip install
gogs-client" and "pip install gogs_client" are identical. So IMHO using "=
python-gogs-client" as the
package name is equally correct as "python-gogs_client".

m.