List:       opensuse-packaging
Subject:    [opensuse-packaging] Non-blocking %check
From:       Todd Rme <toddrme2178 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2017-04-20 3:08:15

There has been some work and advice recently about improving the
parallelization of project builds. However, one issue that occurred to
me is that a lot of time can be spent running the %check scriptlet
that shouldn't have any impact on the final RPMs.

My idea was that perhaps the RPM could be used for building packages
that depend on it while the %check scriptlet is running. If the %check
succeeds, then everything continues as normal. If not, then builds
that depend on it are canceled and RPMs that depend on it are
invalidated before being published.

I understand that this is a big change. In addition to needed big
changes in how OSC works, this would also require a fundamental change
in the %check macro.  It would mean that things that happen during the
%check scriptlet would no longer have any impact on the final RPMs.
Personally I think this is a feature rather than a bug, I always
thought it was strange that tests are allowed to change the package,
but it is a big behavior change.

I am not sure this is worth the effort to implement or worth breaking
existing RPM semantics. But if we are having a problem with the builds
not being as parallel as they could be, this might be something at
least to consider.