List:       opensuse-packaging
Subject:    [opensuse-packaging] Re: [opensuse-factory] Abandoned packages in devel:languages:python3
From:       Bruno Friedmann <bruno () ioda-net ! ch>
Date:       2016-03-07 19:59:23

On lundi, 7 mars 2016 13.46:42 h CET Todd Rme wrote:
> Several packages in devel:languages:python3 are not building due to
> incompatibilities with the current version of their dependencies.
> These packages are apparently abandoned upstream, having no upstream
> activity in at least a year.  With the release of upcoming switch to
> python 3.5, these will likely stop working entirely.

You mean you will create a Staging repo and test 3.5 build and fix
there, or for the sake of the community, you just want to go the hardway
and destroy dlp3 ?

Now a question arise, we (community) have to bother still about
python2 and python3 equivalence ?
So if a fix is made in python3 package, how to backport this one to the
python dlp repo?

Did we still have to manually work on 2 specs 2 sources in 2 differents
repositories, or there's a plan to merge everything back and use
only two spec but one source?

If Fedora is able to build all its python package with only one spec
why we are not able?

> I would like to remove them from the repo one week from today (next
> Monday).  So if you need these packages, please either copy them to
> your home repo or patch them to get them working properly.

Hard to do when they already have been removed no?

> The packages:
>
> python3-PyAVM - no release or upstream activity in one year
> python3-South - no release or upstream activity in more than a year,
> upstream website is gone

Those two were building and working perfectly on a TW.
I use them everyday ...

> python3-pyramid_handlers - no release or upstream activity in 3 years
> python3-pyramid_zcml - no release or upstream activity in one year

You want to do this next week, but you already remove them.
Some code still work as expected, perhaps that's how some others define mature?

Please reinstance those package and bring me as bugowner and maintainer
as I've asked those status during first submit.

It would be also cool to warn people on -packaging list next time ;-)
At least to drive interested people to the right thread.

Okay we can't for the moment use the wiki to create a page, and build a constructive
discussion about the plan, communicate about it in advance, and get feedback.

I'm certain your plan seems perfect from your point of view, but reality is not.

--

Bruno Friedmann
Ioda-Net SÃ rl www.ioda-net.ch

 openSUSE Member, fsfe fellowship