List:       opensuse-packaging
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-packaging] Re: Making mapserver 6 and 7 co-installable
From:       Bruno Friedmann <bruno () ioda-net ! ch>
Date:       2016-03-05 20:10:30

On samedi, 5 mars 2016 19.30:22 h CET Jan Engelhardt wrote:

> On Saturday 2016-03-05 17:40, Bruno Friedmann wrote:
> > >
> > > I would prefer to avoid having the same name issue once again as we did
> > > with postgis2, grass7 etc.
> > > This is why I propose to upgrade our existing mapserver package to
> > > latest upstream (7.0.1) and create a new mapserver6 package [...]
> > > Once MapServer 8.0 appears in the future, move mapserver to 8.0 and
> > > create mapserver7 if needed.
> >
> > Moreover having one versionned and not the other will complicate the handle
> > of proper alternative /usr/lib/mapserv
>
> You can always choose to a use versioned directory like
> /usr/lib/mapserv7 even if the package is called just "mapserv".
> The idea of using a package name of "mapserv" is to ensure
> automatic upgrade from 6->7. In fact, you can even pull this off
> like gcc does, e.g. gcc requires gcc4 in old openSUSE and gcc5
> in newer ones.

This was the last step idea, having a kinda meta-package
called mapserver which call the last available version this is also
what postgresql do.

but on packaging side, have a mapserver package which install /usr/lib/mapserver7
then transform this one to a mapserver7 when 8 will look like to me a bit silly
when we can have it directly.

Now I'm not trying to force anything, I can build it as I want and use it where
I need it.

It's just a question of mutualizing effort.

I wouldn't care that much about the "first run" of trouble educating users
to move their actually installed mapserver to mapserver6 and mapserver7 package
as they want to.
If we would have so much users of this package, they will have cry since almost one \
year when 6.4.2 was released for fixing security bugs.
Guess what, nobody complains -> imply -> nobody was using it.

I've during that time my own build (with some extra flags) on a branch in my home.

To resume, I will continue to have to use mapserver, and as all server I'm setting up \
are based on openSUSE  I will have to have it working. So yeap in a sense I 'm deeply \
voluntaring to maintain it. and get it available on Factory. I've tested and got a \
working way to have m6 and m7 available at the same time on openSUSE. I think we have \
a first good start, and a bit of help in making a  meta-package would be great. We \
can argue for eternity, but we have some of this kind of package (like postgresqlXX, \
python and python3 equivalent) and I'm confident to the fact that if mapserver \
packaging is following the same spirit of others, then consistancy is increased and \
learning curve is shorter.

I'm open to any use case I can have missed, dude if I was God everybody would have \
noticed it :-)))

btw I will analyze deeply and carefully any sr to my App:geo branch ;-)

ps: force yourself to only respond to the mailing list, I don't need another one copy \
                :-)
--

Bruno Friedmann
Ioda-Net SÃ rl www.ioda-net.ch