List:       opensuse-packaging
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-packaging] Re: Misleading package name?
From:       Dimstar / Dominique Leuenberger <dimstar () opensuse ! org>
Date:       2014-06-30 20:03:06

On Sat, 2014-06-21 at 20:53 +0200, Yamaban wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 20:44, jcsl <trcs@...> wrote:

> >> That is probably intentional.
> >> http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Package_naming_guidelines#Multiple_packages_
> >> for_the_same_software Granted, a more appropriate name would have been
> >> glade-3_8.
> >
> > Hi.
> >
> > Wouldn't it be less confusing to give the name glade2 to the GTK2 Glade
> > package and simply glade to the GTK3 one? That is compliant with the naming
> > guidelines and it's clearer to me. I don't understand where that "3" comes
> > from.
>
> First:  Glade has it's on versioning.
> Second: Glade version is not equivialent to GTK version.
> Third:  Yeah, it's a PITA.
>
> Here: Glade Version 3.8 (package glade3) is for GTK Version 2
>
> IMHO either tack on a _gtk[2|3] (e.g glade3_gtk2) or make sure that the
> relevant GTK version is shown in the Package short description
> shown by "zypper se" and "yast2", better do both.
>
> As it is, it gives ground for unhappy programmers and users.
> Not so good for the image.

As openSUSE has a lot of people with great ideas, but apparently not so
many taking the initiative to start an editor and just fix stuff the way
they like it to be: I did the task now and changed the summary of glade
to ensure it refers to GTK+ 3; for glade3 this was already the case (it
referencing GTK+ 2 of course.. not 3).

Cheers,
Dominique
--