List:       opensuse-packaging
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-packaging] Re:Re: Need help updating FBReader package
From:       Guido Berhoerster <gber () opensuse ! org>
Date:       2014-05-25 21:36:39

* jcsl <trcs@gmx.com> [2014-05-24 17:17]:
> > Partial Answer (I do not know enough to give the full info):
> >
> > The SONAME of the lib is "libzlui0_99".
> >
> > According to the Packaging Rules for shared libs (shlib-policy-name),
> > the package-name should start with the SONAME, here "libzlui0_99".
> >
> > ATM the package is named "zlibrary-ui-qt", and this should be changed
> > in the spec-file (to a name starting with "libzlui" and ending with a
> > digit, try "libzlui0_99" for a start).
> >
> > Hope this gives you a hint in the right direction.
> >
> > - Yamaban.
>
> Thank you for your answer Yamaban. I'll try what you suggest, but I still have
> a doubt: where does the SONAME comes from? Is it the number that appears after

It comes from the header of an ELF shared object...

> libname.so (0.99 from libzlui.so.0.99 in this case)?

...and is not necessarily the same as the real name, think of it
as an alias name that is used for recording dependencies and
that is typically only changed if the library's ABI changes in a
backwards-incompatible way. You can extract it e.g. via
"readelf -d libzlui.so | grep SONAME" or
"objdump -p libzlui.so | grep SONAME".
http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Shared_library_packaging_policy
explains in detail how to translate the soname into a package
name.
--
Guido Berhoerster