List:       opensuse-packaging
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-packaging] Some Python questions (Was: Re: devel:language:python3)
From:       Sascha Peilicke <speilicke () suse ! com>
Date:       2013-10-28 8:17:47

On Thursday 24 October 2013 15:07:49 Adam Spiers wrote:
> Sascha Peilicke (speilicke@suse.com) wrote:
> > On Saturday 12 October 2013 14:19:57 you wrote:
> > > Hi Sascha !
> > >
> > > Is there  any possibility we (all python maintainers) discuss our goals
> > > both python2 and python3 ?
> >
> > sure, since Juergen joined recently too, I CC'ed everyone. I dunno how you
> > guys prefer it, we could have an IRC meeting at some point but I guess
> > it's
> > easier to stay with mails just now. Therefore I added opensuse-packaging@
> > because that's really where we should discuss things.
> >
> > > We receive requests sometimes update and/or
> > > new packages which are Python3 compatible.
> >
> > From my PoV, devel:languages:python (d:l:p) and devel:languages:python3
> > (d:l:p3) are only loosely connected. Of course I tend to update things in
> > both projects and implement update-alternatives and other features here
> > and there. So I guess asking submitters to also fix the other package is
> > the simplest approach. Otherwise, I guess it's about proper tooling.
> >
> > > Should we allow new packages for devel:languages:python or directly
> > > impose python3-only packaging ?
> >
> > A lot of people currently have much more interest in d:l:p due to
> > important
> > software such as OpenStack. Therefore I wouldn't want to impose anything
> > but rather ask people.
> >
> > > I mean we have a lot of packages to maintain, and to do it for both
> > > python2 and 3 is long and tedius.
> >
> > In the long run, py3k will gradually replace py2k in openSUSE, that means
> > if the critical mass is reached and most upstreams moved on, py2k pkgs
> > will slowly fade from Factory. Meanwhile, some pkg upstreams already
> > stopped caring for py2k, so their pkgs simply stay with the last working
> > version. Currently it's more manual work, I agree.
>
> Just saw this interesting data-point - Fedora is going to switch to
> Python 3 by default:
>
> http://lwn.net/Articles/571528/

Jupp. I guess it's more obvious for Fedora than us since they always want to
be bleeding edge. But what does that mean in reality? They're not likely going
to ditch py2 any time soon. there's just far too much software out there that
needs it. Since RH did a wise choice in standardizing on Python for most of
their tooling, I'd bet they would have to port a whole lot of stuff first. So
in the end it boils down to what /usr/bin/python points too. On openSUSE, it's
the same as /usr/bin/python-2.7. I thought about changing this and we
discussed this in length. Finally, we decided against it [0]. Others than
that, py3k is in very good shape inside 13.1 and will get more packages during
the next dev cycle.

[0] http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-packaging/2013-08/msg00089.html
--
With kind regards,