List:       opensuse-packaging
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-packaging] Optional stuff in spec files
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () suse ! de>
Date:       2011-07-11 9:05:29

Am Freitag, 8. Juli 2011 schrieb Ismail Doenmez:
> On 07/08/2011 03:38 PM, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> > On Friday 2011-07-08 14:51, Sascha Peilicke wrote:
> >> just to notify you all, since quite some time you neither need to
> >> specify a clean section nor a BuildRoot in your spec files. Official
> >> rpm.org rpm (present in openSUSE) has reasonable defaults.
> >>
> >> You should be aware that this is not support on any SLE*.
> >
> > RPM requires only a few fields and sections to be present at all -
> > %clean is not one of them. SLE does not change that.
> >
> > Yes, the absence of %clean in SLE<= 11 causes %buildroot to be not
> > removed, but only when using plain rpmbuild outside of a tracking,
> > sanitizing environment (chroot, xen, etc.) such as provided by osc's
> > localbuild or bs_worker. Utilizing rpmbuild directly itself however
> > is something that has been disrecommended since at least bnc#176528
> > comment#4 because, as you can see, it leads to way more spurious
> > build errors.
>
> I agree, %clean is the most redundant part of a spec file, if I could
> find a way I'd like to remove manual ldconfig calls too even.

OK, please let us not add further topics into this one.

So BuildRoot should better stay - it's too dangerous to leave out for older
projects, but I see no reason to continue requiring %clean section.

%clean was optional before and beside rpmlint noone cared and now it's
even pointless for 11.4 and above, so I say packager's choice and remove
rpmlint check (if it still exists).

Greetings, Stephan