List:       opensuse-packaging
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-packaging] Adding useful Provides to cups drivers (with python-cups)
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () suse ! de>
Date:       2011-05-31 14:57:49

Am Dienstag, 31. Mai 2011 schrieb Johannes Meixner:
> Hello,
>
> On May 31 15:47 Dimstar / Dominique Leuenberger wrote (excerpt):
> > It's specific to RPM 4.9, which is NOT in 11.4. Only the Factory build
> > should give you what you're looking for.
>
> Many thanks for the info!
>
> With
> # osc getbinaries Printing gutenprint openSUSE_Factory x86_64
> it works!
>
> I still wonder if 337 additional RPM Provides only for gutenprint
> are o.k. for RPM in general?
>
> If all printer driver packages would have those RPM Provides,
> there would be thousands of additional RPM Provides.
>
> Are so many additional RPM Provides o.k. in the RPM database
> and/or in zypper or whatever other packaging tools?

They are ok. For rpm it's just entries in the database, that arguably grows
larger, but nothing databases shouldn't be able to handle. And zypper gently
ignores provides not required when solving.

And fedora ships tools that hook into packagekit to find the provides for the
newly plugged in printer.

Greetings, Stephan