List:       opensuse-packaging
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-packaging] Re: VBoxGuestAdditions.iso in openSUSE:Factory
From:       Schlomo Schapiro <schlomo.schapiro () novell ! com>
Date:       2010-12-20 14:11:41

Hi,

Am 20.12.2010 14:19, schrieb Alexey Eromenko:
> On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 1:06 PM, Michal Šebeň <mseben@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> after virtualbox licensing change, I received (again) requests to
>> include VBoxGuestAdditions.iso (now fully open sourced)  to our
>> virtualbox package -  this iso (~35MB)  contains scripts, windows and
>> linux binaries for additional features on virtualbox guests,
>> problem is that we can't prepare this ISO in our buildservice (because
>> we can't build windows binaries) so we have to grab prepared ISO by
>> oracle team from http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/ and put it
>> to the rpm subpackage
>>
>> what do you think about this step ? is it a standard way ?
>>
>> note: user could always download VBoxGuestAdditions.iso using menu in
>> GUI (with 2-clicks)
>>

> The goal of any distro is to provide all the features without using 2-clicks...
> If tomorrow Oracle site goes down, or they become proprietary, and
> close VirtualBox, then what ?

Then we solve the problem and don't break our head about it now.

> As Richard Stallman puts it, this is called "careless computing".
> We should not depend on Oracle for such critical functionality, and
> provide the ISO as part of the distro.

IMHO this is not careless. If Oracle fails the last built RPM stays in
the repo. If the RPM building would fail if it cannot download the ISO
then the package maintainer would get a chance to act. One could also
checking the ISO as a binary artifact into OBS as Source1: in the SPEC file.

That way of course the maintainer would need to update the ISO if there
is a new one, but this is probably the main job of the maintainer anyway.

I would like to see the ISO shipped with the distro...

Kind Regards,
Schlomo