List:       opensuse-packaging
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-packaging] Package Markup / Package Tagging
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () suse ! cz>
Date:       2010-09-06 14:00:46

On Friday 03 of September 2010, Marcus Rueckert wrote:
> yes. one of the users are reviewer of submissions. they really like to
> know why you removed the patch. maybe also other packager on the same
> package.

 There's no good reason why they would have to look in the package changelog
though.

> and the whole thing should also work without getting an obs account (if
> that is even enough, see below) to look up why the patch got
> added/removed.

 Sure, why not optimize for a corner case.

> > > trust me ... walking down the history to find out when a patch got
> > > removed and then guessing why is no fun. I had to do that more than
> > > once already.
> >
> >  I've done that countless times with code in some repository. Noticeably
> > less painful than figuring it out from changelogs.
>
> "less *.changes" -> /foo.patch
>
> is much faster than hunting through osc log

 Hunting? You've never used a proper VCS, have you? How can manually fiddling
with a manually written file be better than 'vcs log <the-thing-you-want>' ?

 Which gets me back to the original question that nobody has answered yet.
Has the option that the build service would be actually usable as a revision
control system been considered?

> if you see some need to automated the work for yourself, then feel free.
> but for communication with users and other packagers those extra
> informations are very helpful. and trust me i see hundreds of packages
> every week.

 I'm not disputing the need of the information. I just disagree with your
opinion that things have to be done the tedious way because they always have.

--
 Lubos Lunak
 openSUSE Boosters team, KDE developer