List:       opensuse-packaging
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-packaging] Is it possible to edit a debian source package w/o using a debian system?
From:       Mike Veltman <mike.veltman () draconis-it ! com>
Date:       2009-01-24 0:37:05

On Saturday 24 January 2009 05:19:27 Paul Elliott wrote:
> Is it possible to do the following w/o using a debian system, that is on
> my opensuse development system:
>
> 1)Take an existing debian source package consisting of
> 	a)a pristine tarbal in .bz2 format
> 	b)a diff file
> 	c)a dsc file
>      The above are known to build on debian development system.
> 2)Edit the source package with out a debian sytem, doing:
> 	a)slapping on a upgraded pristine tarbal, (new upstream source)
> 	b)edit the configure line in the rules file
>
> 3)Sending the resulting new debian source package to opensuse-buildservice
> to be built?
>
> Is this possible, or do I have to install a debian/ubuntu
> system to edit the debian source package?
>
> If it is possible, what are the steps of the procedure?
>
> Thank You.
>
> By the way, about a year and 1/2 ago I tried to build a ubuntu package
> using opensuse-buildservice, but it failed because the package had
> dependancies in the Universe, that opensuse-buildservice did not
> support the universe. Is this still a problem? Is there a workaround?
>
> Supporting the Universe sounds tiring
> . Even Atlas only tried to support the
> world. :-)

I have done it always in a chroot environment by using debootstrap. So I could
build dep packages on a debian system.

Something like this http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/356
I used alien to change a debootstrap to a rpm.

Hope it helps.
--

With regards,
Mike Veltman

Buildserver ID	: Gwayne
Profile		: www.linkedin.com/in/mikeveltman
OpenSuse supporter of the Singapore Suse Linux Group
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6637106723