List:       opensuse-packaging
Subject:    [opensuse-packaging] Re: [opensuse-kernel] Bashing my head against the desk re kernel-flavors
From:       Andreas Gruenbacher <agruen () suse ! de>
Date:       2009-01-15 11:19:18

On Wednesday 14 January 2009 20:13:00 Matt Sealey wrote:
> The one thing that is really tiring me, though, is the layout of
> /usr/src/packages.

As pointed out already, it is straightforward to change rpm's defaults in
~/.rpmmacros. This still only gives different per-user settings, and different
packages can still step on their toes (and they will still create a big mess
in the SOURCES directory). People are led to include %name in all patch names
to somewhat reduce the mess, for example.

When using rpm directly without a chroot, I like to keep everything in the
same sub-directory instead. For building, I use the attached script.

This would make much saner defaults for rpm IMO. This doesn't seem to be a
popular opinion, however.

Andreas

["xrpm" (application/x-shellscript)]

#! /bin/sh

if [ -e /usr/bin/rpmbuild ]; then
    rpm=/usr/bin/rpmbuild
else
    rpm=/bin/rpm
fi

tmpdir=$(mktemp -d /tmp/${0##*/}.XXXXXX)
mkdir -p src

onexit() {
    rm -rf $tmpdir
    rmdir --ignore-fail-on-non-empty src