List:       opensuse-packaging
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-packaging] On debuginfo and optflags
From:       Olaf Dabrunz <od () suse ! de>
Date:       2008-06-14 23:28:11

I am not the expert on the buildservice. I just worked on debuginfo for
autobuild, and I believe the build-service handles this in a similar way.

On 15-Jun-08, Christian Morales Vega wrote:
> I just noted that while /usr/lib/rpm/x86_64-linux/macros says optflags
> are "-O2 -g -fmessage-length=0 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2", the buildconfig
> on OBS says they are "-fmessage-length=0 -Wall -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
> -fstack-protector -O2".

I believe the build service sets up a separate macro file that overrides
the optflags in the macros file from the rpm package.

> Why are they different? Should not "macros" files be updated? And why
> "-g" was removed from the OBS optflags? Doesn't this makes debuginfo
> packages unusefull?

When the debuginfo flag is set for the build, the optflags in the
override macro file should include "-g".

> Also, are debug packages not shown on
> http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/ anymore? My old packages
> still show them , but new ones don't... even if I can download them
> from http://build.opensuse.org/

According to the build service roadmap
(http://en.opensuse.org/Build_Service/Roadmap), debuginfo generation is
supported from within build-service version 1.0 (meaning that things
change then...).

> So, what is the official politic about debuginfo packages? Should we
> add "-g" manually when we want them? When someone would not want   a
> debuginfo package? Or should we just never use %debug_package?

I believe the build service will do the necessary stuff for you when the
debuginfo flag is used. But this remains an interesting question.

Regards,

--
Olaf Dabrunz (od/odabrunz), SUSE Linux Products GmbH, Nürnberg