List:       opensuse-packaging
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-packaging] [RFC Proposal] Distribution Branding (packages)
From:       Vladimir Nadvornik <nadvornik () suse ! cz>
Date:       2008-02-27 10:19:38

On úterý 26 únor 2008, Thorsten Kukuk wrote:

> > Imagine a security version update. New version may require branding
> > update.
>
> That's a nogo for a Enterprise distribution.

Yes, but IMHO we should still make it technically possible.

> > All available updated (standalone) branding packages conflict with
> > redistributor's bundle.
> >
> > It implies, that security update may trigger immediate action needed
> > from the redistributor: update of the branding bundle.
> >
> > Without bundles, redistributor action is still required, but missing
> > branding will not hard-block security update.
>
> Depending on trademarks, contracts or so, it will hard-block a
> security update.
>
> Especially the trademark problematic can lead to big problems even on
> openSUSE.

I can imagine situations where upstream branding is temporarily used
till the redistributor fixes the branding packages.

I thing that we should document that the bundles are possible, however
the redistributor must be prepared to handle the issues mentioned above.

Vladimir