List:       opensuse-packaging
Subject:    [opensuse-packaging] Request for help: Please check init script dependencies
From:       Dirk Mueller <dmueller () suse ! de>
Date:       2007-06-19 16:19:42

Hi,

under http://www.suse.de/~dmueller/sysv5-deps.ps is a dot graph that shows the
start dependencies of the /etc/init.d scripts that are on our DVD media (as
of alpha5).

Given that I found 3 errors in them in less than 5 minutes, I guess you could
take a look yourself if your package has correct dependencies specified.

Regarding boot time optimisation: it is a good idea to reduce the number
of "levels" and increase parallelism, as modern machines are almost always
SMP.

Currently there is a hard sync point between runlevel B (the boot.* scripts)
and all other runlevels. As you can see easily on this graph, this hard sync
point doesn't really help boot time.

Thanks,

--
RPMLINT information under http://en.opensuse.org/Packaging/RpmLint